Aren't my eyes pretty?

Aren't my eyes pretty?

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Fall Roadtrip

Greetings! Wow this weather is making me want to go on a roadtrip. Here in Oklahoma we have some really beautiful scenic places to travel to. One of my favorite places is the Talimena Scenic Drive. Located in the south eastern corner of our state, a little information about the area.
In 1886 the engineers from the Frisco Railroad laid tracks to the clearing where Choctaw Indian Graves were. That winter the construction train arrived and the small settlement was named Tully-Hena, the Choctaw word for the great Iron Road. This spelling was later changed to Talihina as it is known today. When the town was incorporated in 1905 there was a roundhouse, depot, switchyard, passenger train service and several businesses located in Talihina. Many changes have taken place since Talihina’s inception. The railroad is no longer in operation but other modes of transportation bring people to Talihina. Talihina is the Village between the mountains, with the Kiamichi Mountains to the South and the Winding Stair Mountains to the North and the Potato Hills to the west. Talihina is also known as the Gateway to the Beautiful Talimena Scenic Drive and the Quachita National Forest.
Autumn with the cool crisp air makes the trees turn into a cascade of color. From rust, burgandy, gold, red, the view is just spectacular. Also, there is many places along the way to take pictures and have a picnic. That is my favorite taking along a basket of food. Fried chicken, potato salad, and homemade biscuits is a winning lunch. Hope you can make my roadtrip friends. Looking forward to seeing you there. Many Purrs

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I drowned in a puddle of my own drool after I read abt the chicken and potato salad. Haha! My peeps love traveling and I love learning more abt my friends so this was right up our alley. Talihina sounds beautiful. Count me in for another of ur famous roadtrips! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just now catching up on your posts. Okay - a roadtrip sounds great. When do we leave? Talimena sounds like a bootiful place to visit, especialy in the fall. My peeps remember going through OKlahoma many many years ago, but it was so long ago, they forgot what it was like. Maybe I can talk dem into another road trip.

    ReplyDelete